Updated: Mar 26, 2019
2019 Soflo is coming next month. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it this year. Here is my entry at 2018 Soflo, winning the 3rd place of non-cake professional. The theme was Sunshine State, and therefore, I made a northern mockingbird and orange blossoms.
It was my first competition ever. The humidity in Miami almost killed my work. I feel really blessed to win the 3rd place. Here are some lessons learned.
1. Check the weather forecast, including temperature and humidity. Use humidity resistant gum paste if where you are going is very humid.
2. If you are going to fly with your work, it is better to hand carry your entry than check in as a baggage. In most of the case, the overhead bin size is only 10 inch in height. Keep it in mind when you design your entry.
3. Cake board is the boundary of your entry. Try not to make the entry bigger than your cake board size. And properly decorate your cake board. I didn't decorate my cake board of this entry, and I got feedbacks from the judges about this issue.
4. Bring the tools, edible glue, and extra colored fondant and gum paste with you since you may need to repair your work. Also make extra flowers or leaves just in case.
5. Last but not the least, ALWAYS read every rules carefully and check the rule all the time. Email or call the coordinator if you don't understand the rule clearly.